With the rise in popularity of Himalayan salt lamps, some people have taken advantage of this by creating counterfeits. For salt lamps to have beneficial effects, they should come from crystals that are mined from deep in the Earth. Some Himalayan salt lamps are made from crystals that are close to or on the surface of the Earth. Those crystals have been exposed to modern day toxins where the crystals that come from deeper in the mines are harvested in such a way that they are not exposed to toxins until they are brought to the surface.
Can you tell the real ones from the fake?
Also, some counterfeit “Himalayan” salt lamps are also created by using acrylics and may actually be made with lead which is toxic to humans. Yet these salt lamps look like the real thing and may even taste salty because they may be mixed with salt.
So, the question is, how do you know if you are buying an authentic Himalayan salt lamp or a piece of acrylic junk.
Here are a few ways:
- There is no mention of Pakistan from the supplier of the salt lamp. Himalayan salt lamps are mined from the second largest salt mine in the world which is the Khewra Salt Mines located in Pakistan. A salt lamp may be manufactured elsewhere but the original source should be Pakistan.
- If the price is too good to be true, you are probably right. Himalayan salt lamps are mined from deep within the Earth, manufactured and shipped all the way to the United States. All that labor and travel is not free. An authentic lamp that weights 6 – 8 pounds is typically around $35.
- Himalayan salt contains 84 minerals. It is these minerals that give the lamps their beautiful pink to orangish glow. White Himalayan salt lamps do exist but it is rare and is frequently sold at a higher cost than the darker ones because of that rarity.
- Himalayan salt lamps are fragile. If you drop a lamp and it seems durable, it is probably not a real lamp. They should chip or even break.
- The supplier of your salt lamp has a poor return policy. The suppliers of authentic Himalayan salt lamps expect that there will be some breakage during shipping because of the fragile nature of the lamps. If your supplier does not have a good return policy, the lamps are probably not authentic and they are hoping that you won’t discover that until it is too late.
- Finally, assuming your salt lamp is the correct size for your space or you have multiple lamps, you should experience health benefits from your salt lamp. These benefits will range from decreasing symptoms of allergy and asthma, to increased energy, to improved sleep, to counteracting the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Be aware, there are counterfeit Himalayan salt lamps on the market. Be sure to by from a reputable supplier with a good return policy.
For authentic Himalayan salt lamps, visit Just Breathe for more education and to find the lamp that is right for you. We are located at 45 East Main Street in Westborough, Massachusetts.