How do I know my salt lamp is real?
I get asked that question all the time. Here are 5 things that will tell you that you have a real Himalayan salt lamp:
- The person that sells you the lamp should be able to identify the lamp’s source.
- The lamps sold at Just Breathe come from the second largest salt mine in the world, Khewra Salt Mines, which is located in the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains in Pakistan. (The largest salt mine is located in Ontario, Canada.)
- There are no “identical twins.”
- Because these salt lamps are created by mining salt crystals, you will never see two salt lamps that look exactly alike. The minerals that give the salt its color and the shape of the crystals would never be able to be replicated.
- When you clean your lamp with a damp rag, the lamp will appear to be sweating.
- Salt lamps are hygroscopic, meaning that they attract water. Because of this, when you wipe your lamps with a damp rag, the lamp will draw the moisture to it and take on a sheen. This is short-lived and will go back to looking dry very quickly.
- On a humid day, there is a puddle under your lamp.
- Don’t panic. Your lamp is not defective. Again, because of its hygroscopic properties, the lamp is pulling moisture out of the air and it is accumulating under the lamp. Make sure your lamp is NOT plugged in and, if possible, relocate it to a less humid location.
- Your lamp does not light up the room.
- A salt lamp made from Himalayan salt should not light up a room. If your lamp is so bright that you can comfortably read by it, you might have really good eyesight or it is not a real salt lamp.
True Himalayan salt lamps have been described as “nature’s air filter.” These lamps naturally emit negative ions which pull dust, allergens and toxins out of the air. They are great to have next to your computer or bed. All our lamps come with dimmer switches so that you may lower the light on your salt lamp for sleeping and still benefit from the heat being applied to the lamp which helps distribute the ions further out into the room for more benefits.